October 12, 2004

初恋

Here is my first translation of a Japanese poem, with the help of my English conversation students, Mami and Keiko. It was written by the Meiji era poet Shimazaki Toson.

First Love
_______

At the time when you first drew up your hair
and I met you beneath the apple trees,
you were beautiful--like those flowers
on the face of your haircomb.

You gave me an apple,
in your soft, white hands
the autumn fruit's faded crimson--
this was the beginning of love.

I sighed once, thinking of nothing, through your hair.
We drank in joy and surrender
to each other each other's lips.
I was in rapture.

And now as I look back down this narrow path,
the one leading through the apple orchard,
and think upon the hands of its maker,
I remember you, yearn for you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, this is a gorgeous translation. Please do more.
-- Diana

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site 
Meter