June 29, 2005

Beers on the Beach at Night

The slow week goes by ever so tediously. I now find myself with some things to do, but instead I have grown so accustomed to the rhythm of reading philosophy and studying Japanese every day that is hard to get going on the minimal amount of lesson preparation that is required of me. I wonder whether or not putting more time into lesson preparation would yield a class better than some of my best ones up until now. I mean, everytime I put in extended hours on getting materials ready for a class, the teacher usually shoots down my ideas as "too difficult" for the students to comprehend. I think to myself "Little does she know that these kids don't know little." Finally, I acquiesce to the teacher's textbook-thinking, making games that are fun, but sometimes a bit perversely obvious in their simplicity.

Last night, I had a few beers on the beach, where lots of mosquitoes gorged themselves on my gaijin blood. It was nice to just kick back on the shore, talk it up with someone I hadn't seen in a while, and listen to the water. Cold beer, sweltering summer night, the sound of waves, the darkness of the sea. I slept very well last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site 
Meter